Friday, May 14, 2010

eBay Customer Service commitment -- bogus!

I try not to allow my personal issues to creep into my blogging -- I try to keep this out of being a bitchfest about anyone or anything in particular (myself included).

That said, I'm making an exception today to call out eBay for having shoddy customer service and their false commitment to Buyer Protection. They started this new great program that they advertise on EVERY PAGE OF THEIR SITE where if you don't receive an item or if it is not what you wanted, they will help make it right. Sounds great, right?

Except they lie. They don't actually mean it. The cowards in their customer service department hide behind e-mail facades, refusing to speak with customers. Their "appeals" process is a single e-mail chain and then being cut off entirely. I'm pasting the reply from their "customer service agent" below (I use the title in quotes to illustrate their lack of ability to actually carry through on their intent).

The short version of the story. I bought an XM radio from a guy in North Carolina. His ad said he would ship it Priority Mail. He shipped it parcel post with delivery confirmation (cost difference? about $2!). That by itself should be enough cause for them to see there's a problem. They didn't. I digress.

I waited the 2 weeks for the package to show up. Finally, USPS updated their tracking system saying that it was out on the truck for delivery. I called the hotel to check to see if the package arrived (note: during the week, I live in a hotel in Dallas). It hadn't. Then I checked again, every day. Eventually the package got marked as "delivered" on the USPS' site (it wasn't). The hotel has scoured their mail room and back offices looking for my package. It's nowhere to be found. USPS swears they delivered it. I spoke to the mail carrier twice (directly in person). I went to the post office that said they delivered the package twice. They hace NO idea where it is. Regardless, I don't have it. I figured eBay's guarantee would help me -- that a big company who could absorb $68 of loss would do so. I was wrong.

So -- eBay, I'm calling you out. Your advertisement for Buyer Protection is pure fraud and I think you're lying to customers. What are you going to do about it?

And for all those who read this blog -- take care what you buy on eBay. Make sure not to use USPS for shipping, because their "tracking" is incompetent. If you can do business anywhere else, I'd suggest it.

eBay -- your move.



Quoted e-mail from eBay's non-customer service agent:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear joefox97,

Thank you for contacting eBay in regard to item #320511926105. I can
certainly appreciate how frustrating this situation may have been for
you as you have not received the item you paid for.

I have reviewed this case thoroughly and see that it was decided in
favor of your seller. I understand that you have still not received the
item, so I would like to explain our decision in further detail.

Your seller was able to provide us with a valid tracking number showing
the item was delivered to the address registered on your eBay account. I
hope you can understand why this led to our decision. As for your
appeal, I regret to inform you that we are not able to issue you a
refund because the tracking shows the item was delivered. It would be
unfair to the seller to overturn our decision when they have proof of
delivery.

Now I understand and believe that you have not received this item. It is
very possible that a mistake was made by the mail carrier. The package
may have never been delivered or could have been delivered to the wrong
address. In either scenario, I really do hope you can understand that we
have to make our decisions with the information available to us. When a
tracking number shows the item was delivered, we have to take that as
proof of delivery.

At this point, I would first recommend you contact the mail carrier used
to see if they could provide further details of the package's
whereabouts. If they are unable to provide you with further information,
you may consider asking neighbors if they received the package in error.


I realize this wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope I've
been able to explain things clearly and I thank you in advance for your
understanding.

This is eBay's final decision. No further contacts about this case will
be responded to.
If you have any further questions about other issues
not related to this case, please click "Contact Us" at the top of any
eBay page.

Sincerely,
Jordan E

eBay Buyer Protection



Original Message Follows:
------------------------

Subject: GS=CU0779 | Appeal claim to CS, I didn't receive an item I paid
for or I received an item that is not as described

User Feedback: 35
User State: 01


Browser info:

Home > ResolutionCenter > Resolve Problem > Appeal


Contacting member: joefox97
Claim #: 5002108255
Item number: 320511926105
Transaction ID: 0
Problem reported:
Additional message: Maybe I'm confused -- the ad for eBay Buyer Protection clearly says "We'll cover your full purchase price plus original shipping if it your item doesn't arrive or it's not what you expected." -- My item hasn't arrived. What more do I need to say? No other reason was given, no detail as to WHY I won't be issued a refund.
Feel free to call the hotel and ask them about the package that didn't
arrive -- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (confidentiality). They can all tell you that I ask about my package everyday and it's not arrived. Or try talking to the post office to find out when and if it was delivered -- their delivery confirmation service is bogus at best. And then the seller DID NOT SHIP the package with the correct method -- his ad said "Priority Mail." He used Parcel Post. There is no way that I should be out $70 when I did nothing wrong. Be sure that if eBay decides not to assist that this will NOT be the final action I take.
--------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: